A side friction coaster was built in 1902 by Ingersoll, and at that time was the tallest one in the world. Research shows it to have been approximately 60 feet high. It was a modified version of the typical figure-8 layout. The coaster sat south of what is now a series of telephone pole racks. The lift hill faced north. The Park was also home to a carousel, theater, skating rink/dancing pavilion, ball field that was very popular with grandstand seating, three-shaded picnic groves, and a lake for boating. Only a couple structures remain next to the Wal-Mart plaza, and the large recessed area of land north of the park was home to the lake seen in many postcards. A liquor store uses the former trolley station just north of the coaster site. Millbrook was a beautiful place, and an ideal setting for a park. But like so many others, being that close to the river proved fatal. The coaster survived a couple floods, but the one in 1913 damaged it beyond repair and it was never reopened due to the cost involved. The park itself found an end when the great Ohio flood of 1937 wiped out everything along its banks, combined with the growing steel industry that took over the park property.

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Millbrook Park Roller Coaster scale model made by Brad Sherman
Millbrook Park ladies by water

Milllbrook Park picturesque picture

Millbrook Park entrance to Steel Mills

Millbrook Park Y Bridge

Millbrook Park about 1911

Millbrook Pavilion

Millbrook Park Casino Theatre about 1910

Millbrook Park Casino

Millbrook Park Casino Theatre

The "Casino was built in 1905, a large beautiful theatre, the two-story frame was built at the cost of $21,500 and had a seating capacity of 500. The Casino was located just inside the park gate (where Cornett Building Supply now is located). The Casino was the area's social place from 1905 to 1924. The River City Band would perform on Sunday evenings from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Each season there would be plays, concerts, films and even off-Broadway productions.

                                                        Millbrook Merry-Go-Round 

The merry-go-round was purchased in 1905 at the cost of $3,900.The ride consisted of beautiful painted animals along with seats for those not wanting a pony ride. The ride operated Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon until 10 p.m. The popular tune that played was "Goodbye My Blue Bell".

Millbrook Park ariel view with trolley station on right forefront

Millbrook Park baseball field with roller coaster behind it


The ballpark built in 1906 was redesigned in 1908 and a grandstand built that seated 1,000 people. The cost to update the field to a professional standard was $6,650. New Boston and Portsmouth High schools used the ballpark and it was also a location for training and professional games. In 1925, the Cincinnati Reds played an exhibition game at the park. The ballpark grandstand was torn down in 1926. Most of the games had moved to the new stadium.

Getting off the trolley at Millbrook Park trolley station

Welcome to Millbrook Park The most popular park in Ohio from 1902 to 1913 ahead of Coney Island in Cincinnati and the Olentanga in Columbus.  Levi York, a founder of the steel mill and the New Boston town developer, launched a new project in 1899 that he called, "Millbrook Park".  He leased the park to the Portsmouth Street Railway and Electric Light Company to oversee the construction and operation of the park. The acreage when it was completed was 85.4 acres.  Over a thousand trees were planted and several types of grass and flowers covered the many acres. The main natural attraction was the lake, which was created by a dam at Munns Run. To see the beauty of the park, a person could row a boat, rent a motor launch or take a gondola ride.

Millbrook Park as pictured on a Flood Wall Mural in Portsmouth

Millbrook Park looking from roller coaster toward Sciotoville

Millbrook Pavilion

The two story Pavilion was built in 1902, by Captain James Smith at the cost of $15,708, from the lumber of the demolished city jail at Front and Washington Streets. The building housed bowling alleys, a rifle range, a soda parlor with pool tables and other games on the first floor. On the second floor was a full-sized skating rink with a dance floor in the center. The famous River City band played music for the dancers and skaters. In 1903, the new pavilion added a restaurant.

Millbroke Park about 1906

Getting off the trolley at Millbrook Park probably to go watch a baseball game

The 4 original streetcars had a seating capacity of 24 each.

Millbrook Park Trolley Station

Millbrook Park, New Boston, Ohio

Opened in 1902 and flood of 1937 killed it

The largest swimming pool in Scioto Co. was at Millbook Park in New Boston, shown here in 1938 

 Mark Howell collection

Millbrook park view

Millbrook Park Map 1922

Millbrook Park Scene c 1912 

Lady on park bench and her dog with roller coaster in background

Millbrook Park building

Millbrook Park flower beds

Millbrook Park lakeside
Millbrook Park lakeside

Millbrook Park with  2 ladies setting on log by the bridge

from Aroma Gifford Hammond collection

Millbrook Park Scene c 1912 showing bridge and Pavilion

Millbrook Park Casino Theatre

Lakeside at Millbrook Park

A group of fetching young women pose for a photo during an outing to Millbrook Park 13 August 1903

Millbrook Park lakeside

Millbrook Park Y Bridge

Millbrook Park lady on bridge with Roller coaster in the back ground

from Aroma Gifford Hammond collection

Millbrook Park Scene showing bridges and Pavilion

Untitled

Millbrook park 1910

4th of July Races at Millbrook Park

Skating on the frozen Millbrook Lake in 1940

Aerial view of Millbrook Park in the early 1900

Millbrook Park Roller Coaster scale model made by Brad Sherman

Millbrook Park view colorized
Millbrook Park lakeside about 1908

Millbrook Park ladies by water

Millbrook Park Bow Bridge

Millbrook Park Trolley Station 

An outing at Millbrook Park in 1903

Millbrook baseball park

Entrance to the Millbrook Park Baseball field. Note the ticket booth. Taken October 10th, 1915.  This was after the flood of 1913 took out the roller coaster.

The Street Railway and Light Company in 1910 bought the roller coaster from the Foy Amusement Company of Cincinnati. The cost was $15,000 for the ride and installation. With more than a half mile of tracks, the coaster was located just west of the ballpark. The coaster cars stopped at a different building than where they started from, and were transferred to the starting point in an enclosed building.